Applications for the ‘Half of Istanbul is Ours’ Campaign Continue in Istanbul

The Ministry of Environment, Urban Planning, and Climate Change reported that applications for the ‘Half of Istanbul is Ours’ Campaign for urban transformation are ongoing. Minister Kurum shared images of citizens moving into renewed homes in Zeytinburnu. According to the ministry’s statement, under the campaign launched on April 26, 2023, citizens are acquiring new and earthquake-resistant housing, while support for “Half of Istanbul” is ongoing for urgent transformation needs. In Istanbul, where there are 600 thousand risky homes and workplaces, individuals wishing to renovate their homes are offered 700 thousand lira grant, 700 thousand lira credit, and 100 thousand lira relocation support for each unit. Credit repayments without interest in the first year start two years after obtaining a building permit and are spread over a 10-year term. In large-scale transformation projects, a grant of 700 thousand liras is provided. In projects undertaken by TOKI or Emlak Konut GYO, the grant amount is deducted from the building cost, and the remaining debt is repaid in installments with favorable long-term conditions. In Istanbul, 15 thousand homes and workplaces are still in transformation with ‘Half of Istanbul is Ours.’
SHARE BY MURAT KURUM Environmental, Urban Planning, and Climate Change Minister Murat Kurum, shared images of citizens moving into renewed homes in Zeytinburnu on his social media account and stated, “There is no fear anymore for Mikail Bey and his family, only peace and happiness remain. Because they benefited from our ‘Half of Istanbul is Ours’ campaign and transformed their homes. Let’s also transform your nest.” Esnaf Mikail Keleş, who previously shared how his grandchildren could not sleep due to the fear of earthquakes, said: “My grandchildren could not sleep because the building was old. They would ask, ‘Grandpa, our building is old, will it collapse?’ It was scary. But now we have no fear. You see the inside of our home, we sit comfortably. If it were old, we couldn’t sit like this now. Our Ministry helped us. Without them, we wouldn’t have been able to build this building. We benefited from the ‘Half of Istanbul is Ours’ campaign. We received rent assistance. I recommend it to our people. I call out to all of Turkey. When people ask, go immediately, apply. Benefit like we did.” Mikail Keleş’s granddaughter Ayşe Keleş also mentioned that she used to leave lights on while sleeping due to fear of earthquakes and said, “Now I have a nicer room. I sleep comfortably in my room. I don’t leave the lights on. Apply like me so your children do not fear. Demand from parents, half comes from the state.” Halise Keleş emphasized the need for citizens to apply for the campaign, saying, “My husband heard it on TV, he went and applied. I also say, go and make your application. Because half comes from our government, half from us. May Allah bless everyone. Our faces are truly smiling. Our children, grandchildren were small, always scared. Now when we go to bed at night, there is no fear of earthquakes, we are at peace. Every child deserves to grow up stress-free.” Yılmaz Arslan mentioned seeing campaign advertisements on TV. Referring to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan always promoting the campaign, Arslan said, “Our neighbors went and applied. We found out that we were approved. God says, ‘precaution is yours, fate is Mine.’ We received 700 thousand lira grant, rental support. The state helps you, provides half. There is nothing better than this. We have safety, our possessions are secure. You sleep comfortably, earthquakes don’t come to mind. We tell everyone, we did it, you do it too, renovate your building.”